Friday, January 29, 2010

Re-Inventing the Lamington

I have just recently added an entry to Mr P's Wonderful re-invention of the lamington contest.  I only heard about it from my sister the last day you could enter (lucky I just happened to have made the lamingtons for my BIL Birthday/Australia Day party). 

She also entered a marvelous rainbow coloured lamington which you can see on her blog Dragon Musings.  This was quite a sight when it was cut open as no one knew what she had created.  Very impressive!!

For those of you who don't know, a lamington is generally a piece of cake with jam (and sometimes cream) in the middle then coated in a thin cocoa based icing and sprinkled with coconut.
The competition was to see what variations people could come up with.

My little lamingtons were done in good old green and gold.  So to make them that colour, instead of using icing I used jelly.  Some pineapple flavoured and some lime.  I admit I made a bit of a mistake not letting my jelly set quite enough though.  The first one I made just soaked up all the jelly and became, in about two seconds flat, a goopey blob of jelly soaked cake, yuk.

However I did not leave myself enough time to wait for the jelly to set properly so I had to make the best of it.  I carefully spooned the jelly over the cake a little bit at a time, in order to make sure that it did not soak too deeply.  Then coated them in the coconut.  Just to make them a little more different I sprinkled edible sparkles over them. 

I seriously just love the idea of sparkley food.




Then to top the day off we washed them down with some green and gold skittle infused vodka, I will share that recipe with you later

No comments:

Post a Comment